Sunday 28 February 2010

The Best Pudding Ever!!!

I’ll give you a definition first: The word ‘pudding’ in Scotland can be a reference to a dessert. Pudding is what you have after your main course or the last part of your meal. It can also mean a custard type dessert. You just have to listen for the context, but more often then not, it just means dessert.

Sticky Toffee Pudding is a dessert Leslie and I had just a few short weeks after arriving in Scotland. Let’s just say my life would never be the same! It is simply fantastic. The moist cake is delightful, the toffee sauce rich and the cream brings it all together.

I have been guilty of gluttony on more than one occasion with this dessert. One instance, our good friends David and Emma, once had some at their house. Leslie and Emma did not want any (don’t know what they were thinking that day), so David and I were a lotted two massive portions, things were going well. Well David had a few bites and decided he wasn’t going to finish his portion. Well, couldn’t let the piece go to waste now could I? So in addition to my own, I graciously finished David’s as well! They still give me a hard time about this, as you would expect great friends to do!

It is not a difficult dessert to make either, as long as you remember all the ingredients :) I made this for the first time in January. I was up early on Sunday morning to make it, so that we could have it at a dinner that afternoon. I put the cake ingredients together, stuck it into the oven and about ten minutes later realized I never put the eggs into the batter!!!! Oh, I about died. I had to wake Leslie up and say please get started on the batter, I have to go to the store to get some ingredients that we no longer have. Well, it all worked out in the end and it was a lovely Sticky Toffee Pudding. From the consumers of the pudding, I was told: I needed some more “practice” at it and should make it again soon! So I guess it turned out well!

The recipe I used was from the website Recipe Zaar, it was called Undy Arms Sticky Toffee Pudding. You can read about it a little more on that sight. There are three basic elements to a great Sticky Toffee Pudding! The cake, the toffee sauce and the cream (which is optional but you would be a Silly Sillerton not to have the cream with it. And this is just regular single or double cream, you can used whipped but you would be wrong).

If you have ever read the novel The Shack then you have read a reference to this dessert. In the book, the author believes this would be the dessert of choice by Jesus. In his research WM. Paul Young must have asked What Would Jesus Make? And he came up with Sticky Toffee Pudding. The excerpt is:
“Mack to Jesus: "You don't really have to eat, do you?" he asked, as he began to ladle something into his bowl that resembled a thin seafood soup, with squid and fish and other delicacies. "We don't have to do anything," Papa stated rather strongly. "Then why do you eat?" Mack inquired. "To be with you, honey. You need to eat, so what better excuse to be together." "Anyway, we all like to cook," added Jesus. "And I enjoy food- a lot. Nothing like a little shaomai, ugali, nipla, or kori bananje to make your taste buds.”happy. Follow that with some sticky toffee pudding or a tiramisu and hot tear. Yum! It doesn't get any better than that."

Take it for what it is worth...I’ll I am saying is it is a fantastic dessert.

1 comments:

Kelly T said...

I read this post back when you wrote it, but I still haven't "marked as read" in my GoogleReader yet b/c I'm so determined that I'm going to make it. It looks AMAZING and I can't wait to try it out. I'll let you know how it goes. BTW, Ben and I both just finished The Shack, so it was fun to read that quote from the book.