Monday 14 July 2008

Reflections of a Year

Tristan here…it is time I made my quarterly blog post. Brace yourself: it will probably be a long one but it has to be; I am reflecting on a year's worth of information. My lovely wife is much better at updating than I am. I told her that I would do the one year anniversary post and so here I am.
This past Friday marked our one year anniversary of being in Scotland. It is hard to believe that we have taken one trip around the sun, when in many regards it seems like just a few days have passed. In other ways it seems like ages. We have never gone this long without seeing our families. A week from tomorrow, we are blessed to have Leslie’s parents and youngest sister arrive. It will be awesome to see them.
It is difficult to know where to begin when describing this past year. After some thought, I decided I should begin where all things begun. God said let there be land…and he saw that it was good. Millenniums later he called out and said ‘that good land across the sea, I would like you to go there.’ God is needed in this land. The people are not bad, quite contrarily, there are some wonderful people. But they are lacking God in their life…and therefore, ultimately lacking life itself. It is obvious why he sent us.
I don’t know who said it first, but life is a journey. Journeys are characterized by successes and failures, laughs and tears, joy and pain, certainty and doubt, friends and foes, ease and hardship and a whole other range of dualisms that I can’t even exhaust. Our time in Scotland is characterized this way too. It has been wonderful but not without its difficulties. Thankfully, we have a God that is with us in all stages of the journey. For me personally, this year has taught me that more than any other year in my life.
I have been humbled, rebuked, chastened, disciplined and punished; but I also have been raised, instructed, taught, encouraged and rewarded. I thank God for each of these lessons and attributes of the journey because He was using them to refine my faith. In passing through the fires and the waters I have been brought out stronger and purer than before. I cannot say that my faith would not be the same if we had not come to Scotland because I don’t know what God would have done with my life elsewhere. But I feel confident in saying: it would have taken a lot longer to get me to the point in my faith where I now am had we not come to Scotland.
Some of the HUGE things that have contributed to this growth are the following:
1. Watching Jie, our Chinese Sister, come face to face with Christ our Lord. We were witnesses to Jie but we also witnessed God at work in ways we could not imagine. Even as I write this and reflect on what God has done and is doing in here life, my eyes are full with tears of joy. We have been so fortunate to be a part of God’s work in Jie’s life.
2. Friends: Leslie’s last post was about ‘Friends.’ Here in Stirling, we have been blessed with some amazing friends, who are Family through Christ. A deeper knowledge of friendship has been rooted in us because of the lessons learned from our friends.
3. Education: Being in Scotland, I have been able to read a lot more. I am not a fast reader so living in a culture that is much slower paced than the United States is more conducive to my mediocre reading ability (thanks California education system). The reading I have been able to do has deepened and strengthened my knowledge of God. And as a result I have met Jesus in a way I did not think possible, even though God told me it was possible.

4. Working with Leslie: We work pretty much constantly with each other. This has been both a rewarding and challenging at times (I know Leslie would say the same about me). It has helped me grow to a new appreciation of my wife and God’s idea of marriage. Second only to Christ and His Spirit, Leslie is the greatest blessing in my life.
5. Working for the church and working with this church: Ultimately I know that I work for Christ in the ministry of reconciliation. Technically, I am employed as a missionary/minister. This has been a first for me and it has changed my perspectives. Although, I am a bit uncertain of how long I will hold this post or a post similar to it (at least another year), I suspect that my employment will not always be the church. Working for the church has showed me how I can better work for Christ and help the church when I am not employed by the church. I am anxious to one day put my knowledge to use. The Stirling church has been wonderful. We have learned more about family and the love God has for his people. We are blessed to be a part of this group.

6. Fundraising: There is a lot that could be said about this but I am not going to say it because we as humans (and sadly as churches) place to big of an emphasis on money. To me the most important lesson I have learned from the journey this year is that fundraising teaches you humility and reliance, both of which are given from God. We are grateful to God who has taken such good care of us.
There are certainly more but those are some of the biggest things that have changed my life this year. How has your life been changed? How has your faith grown? If you reflect and realize that it hasn’t, maybe your feet have come to a stop in the journey. Why don’t you start walking again? The blessings of the journey far out weigh her consequences.
What else about a year’s time in Scotland? I love the scenery. Stirling itself has gorgeous views. The mountains to the northwest are impressive but recently I have found fascination and comfort in the little hills that lie right at the northeast door of Stirling. They are called the Ochil Hills or as the locals call them the Hill Foots. They have intrigued me lately with their mystery, their familiarity, in dark weather their ominousness and of course their beauty.
Well, if I am going to eat and do the other things I need to do tonight, I have to wrap this up. If you are still reading this then call your doctor because you need crazy pills! Truly, if you are reading this then it means you have taken a genuine interest in our lives and work over the last year and for that we are in your debt. Thank you very much. We are excited to see what God has in store for us this coming year.

4 comments:

Ryan Corcoran said...

Great post, Tristan! I know from our conversations that you've had your share of joys and frustrations, but let me just say that, now that we've spent a small amount of time in Ireland & Scotland, we can see the great work you're doing, and how needed you are there! Keep up the good work, and keep up the posts! :-)

amy nickerson said...

I'm so proud of the work you guys are doing over there! You've inspire and encourage me through your words, Tristan. I'm thankful that you let us hear from you! :) I pray that in your second year, you'll be able to see the fruits of your labor grow more and more! Love you both!

Ira said...

Tristan and Leslie,
I am thankful that you guys answered the call to go to Scotland. I know it took faith, adventure and trust in God. I can see that God has revealed more of Himself to you because you guys were open to His leading. I pray that God continues to utilize you for His kingdom throughout the various stages of your lives no matter where you are.
to God be the glory.
kari lockwood

Kelly T said...

I get it, Tristan... make the font smaller so no one thinks you really wrote so much. Ha ha, j/k - this is a great post and we're so thankful for the way God has used you two in Scotland. You are so encouraging to us and we're anxious to see you all when you're here!